WOMEN AND MEN IN MIMAROPA Highlights of Results from the 2015 Census of Population

Date: 

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Reference Number: 

2021SR05

WOMEN AND MEN IN MIMAROPA

Highlights of Results from the 2015 Census of Population

 

The total population of the MIMAROPA Region in 2015 reached 2.96 million. Of this total number, women with 1.44 million or 48.70 percent was outnumbered by men with 1.52 million or 51.30 percent. The regional sex ratio was 105 men per 100 women.

 

TABLE 1. Total Population by Sex, Province and City/Highly Urbanized City, MIMAROPA: 2015

Source: Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), 2015 Census of Population (2015 POPCEN)

 

Among provinces in the MIMAROPA Region, Palawan (excluding Puerto Princesa City) registered the highest total population of 0.85 million. Women accounted for 47.93 percent share to the province’s total population while men comprised the remaining 52.07 percent. The sex ratio of the province was 109 men per 100 women which is also the highest among provinces in the region.

On the contrary, the province of Marinduque posted the lowest total population of 0.23 million. Women comprised 49.71 percent share of the province’s total population while men got the remaining 50.29 percent. The province’s sex ratio was the lowest among provinces in the region at 101 men per 100 women.

Puerto Princesa City, the only highly-urbanized city in the region, recorded a total population of around 0.26 million. Of this number, women accounted for 48.95 percent or 0.12 million. Men, on the other hand, got a larger share of 51.05 percent or 0.13 million. The city registered a sex ratio of 104 men per 100 women.

 

Figure 1. Household Population by Sex, Province, and City/Highly Urbanized City, MIMAROPA: 2015

Source: PSA, 2015 POPCEN

In 2015, the household population in the MIMAROPA Region reached 2.95 million. Women accounted for 48.89 percent share in the regional household population or 1.44 million. Meanwhile, men got the larger share of 51.11 percent with 1.51 million.

 

Figure 2. Institutional Population by Sex, Province, and City/Highly Urbanized City, MIMAROPA: 2015

Source: PSA, 2015 POPCEN

The institutional population in the MIMAROPA Region reached 16.90 thousand in 2015. One out of five persons or 15.74 percent who has been residing in institutional living quarters in the region were women. Meanwhile, 14.20 thousand men comprised the majority or 84.26 percent of the institutional population in the region.

 

Figure 3. Total Population by Age Group and Sex, MIMAROPA: 2015

Source: PSA, 2015 POPCEN

Among age groups, individuals aged group 5-9 years old comprised the largest share of 11.93 percent in the total population of the MIMAROPA Region. This translated to 0.35 million individuals. Of these, women got 48.26 percent share which is equivalent to 0.17 million female individuals aged 5-9 years old.

 

On the other hand, individuals ages 80 years old and over were reported to have the least share of 0.78 percent in the region’s total population. Among those 23.13 thousand individuals aged 80 years old and over, 64.86 percent were women.

 

In the MIMAROPA region the total population 10 years old and over reached 2.26 million. This comprises 76.39 percent of the region’s total population in 2015. Of these, women only got 48.82 percent share while men got the larger share of 51.18 percent.

 

FIGURE 4. Total Population 10 Years Old and Over by Marital Status and Sex, MIMAROPA: 2015

Source: PSA, 2015 POPCEN

 

Among individuals aged 10 years old and over in the MIMAROPA Region, 0.98 million were married. This translated to 43.17 percent share to the region’s total population 10 years old and over.  Married women got 0.49 million or a corresponding share of 50.09 percent in this category.
Single individuals aged 10 years old and over reported a population count of 0.96 million or 42.38 percent share to the region’s population 10 years old and over. In this category, 0.42 million women were single with a corresponding share of 44.03 percent.

There were 0.20 million individuals 10 years old and over in the region who were engaged in common-law / live-in. Women accounted for 50.77 percent share while men got a share of 49.23 percent.

There were 0.10 million widowed individuals in the region in 2015. Three out of four widowed individuals or 76.02 percent were women.

Divorce/separated individuals in the region reached 0.03 million. Of these, women got the larger share of 56.22 percent.

There were 323 individuals who did not report their marital status. Among these, 54.18 percent were women while men comprised the remaining 45.82 percent.

The top five most dominant religious affiliations in the region in 2015 were Roman Catholic (including Catholic Charismatic), Evangelicals, Iglesia ni Cristo, Islam, and Seventh Day Adventist. Among these, about three out of four in the population or 75.29 percent were Roman Catholic.

FIGURE 5. Total Population by Religious Affiliation and Sex, MIMAROPA: 2015

Source: PSA, 2015 POPCEN

Note/s: Roman Catholic includes Catholic Charismatic.

Evangelicals refer to the Philippine Council of Evangelical Churches.

Others include all other religious affiliations except for the five identified.

More men were affiliated in Roman Catholic than women. Of the 2.23 million Roman Catholic in the region, women only accounted for a 48.54 percent share while men have the larger share of 51.46 percent.

A total of 0.14 million individuals in the region were Evangelicals. Women accounted for 49.39 percent share which was a bit smaller compared to men with 50.61 percent.

Iglesia ni Cristo covered 3.69 percent or 0.11 million individuals in the region. Of these, only 48.53 percent were women while 51.47 percent were men.

About three out of 100 individuals or 3.35 percent in the region belonged to Islam. Out of 0.10 million with Islam as its religious affiliation, men constituted the larger share of 50.98 percent while men only got a share of 49.02 percent.

Of 57.58 thousand individuals in the region with Seventh Day Adventists as its religious affiliation, 49.78 percent were women, while 50.22 percent were men.

There were 0.33 million individuals in the region or 11.15 percent who were affiliated to other religious affiliations not stated above. Among these, 49.26 percent were women while 50.74 percent were men.

FIGURE 6. Simple Literacy of the Household Population 10 Years Old and Over by Sex and Province, MIMAROPA: 2015

Source: PSA, 2015 POPCEN

Of the 2.25 million household population aged 10 years old and over in the region, 97.33 percent or 2.19 million were simple literate. Of this number, 1.07 million individuals were women with a share of 49.05 percent. Meanwhile, the remaining 50.95 percent were accounted for by men.

Among the provinces in the region, Marinduque was the only province that registered a higher number of simple literate women compared to men. Women got 50.17 percent share while men covered the remaining 49.83 percent.

TABLE 2. Total Population 5 Years Old and Over by Highest Grade/Year Completed and Sex, MIMAROPA: 2015

Source: PSA, 2015 POPCEN

In 2015, the MIMAROPA region’s total population 5 years old and over reached 2.62 million. Of these, about 40.18 percent or 1.05 million individuals reported elementary as their highest grade completed. Women accounted for 45.27 percent or 0.48 million individuals while men comprised the remaining 54.73 percent or 0.58 million individuals.

About one out of three or 33.85 percent of the total population 5 years old and over reported high school level as their highest grade completed with 0.89 million individuals. Of this number, 49.48 percent were women while 50.52 percent were men. Among 0.47 million individuals who graduated high school level, 50.48 percent of these graduates were women.

Women registered a bigger share than men in the following highest grade completed such as post-baccalaureate (61.78 percent), academic degree holder (59.01 percent), college undergraduate (53.28 percent), and post-secondary (51.12 percent).

FIGURE 6. Total Population of Gainful Workers 15 Years Old and Over by Major Occupation Group and Sex, MIMAROPA: 2015

Source: PSA, 2015 POPCEN

The total number of gainful workers 15 years old and over in the region reached 1.11 million in 2015. Of this total number, only 30.25 percent were women while 69.75 percent were men.

Skilled agricultural forestry and fishery workers got the highest number of gainful workers whose age is at least 15 years old among major occupation groups. This was reported by
0.35 million gainful workers, 9.97 percent of which were women. Meanwhile, armed forces occupations posted the least number among these occupation groups. This was reported by 2.39 thousand gainful workers, 6.82 percent of which were women.

Women registered a higher number than men on major occupation groups such as service and sales workers (77.59 thousand), managers (47.11 thousand), professionals (34.84 thousand), technicians and associate professionals (21.88 thousand), and clerical support workers (22.55 thousand).

On the other hand, men dominated major occupation groups such as skilled agricultural forestry and fishery workers (0.31 million), elementary occupations such as cleaners and helpers; agricultural, forestry and fishery laborers; laborers in mining, construction, manufacturing and transport; food preparation assistant; street and related sales and service workers; and refuse workers and other elementary workers (0.18 million), plant and machine operators and assemblers (73.70 thousand), craft and related trades workers (66.21 thousand), and armed forces occupations (2.23 thousand).

FIGURE 7. Total Population of Overseas Workers 15 Years Old and Over by Age Group and Sex, MIMAROPA: 2015

Source: PSA, 2015 POPCEN

In 2015, there were 31.83 thousand individuals who worked overseas. Of this number, 16.57 thousand or 47.96 percent were female overseas workers while the remaining 52.04 percent were male overseas workers.

Among age groups, individuals aged 25 - 34 years old comprised the largest share of 41.35 percent in the total overseas workers of the MIMAROPA Region. Of these, women got 52.26 percent share which is equivalent to 6.88 thousand female overseas workers aged 25 - 34 years old.

In the MIMAROPA region, overseas workers 45 years old and over reached 5.84 thousand. Among these, women accounted to 39.93 percent share while men got the larger share of 60.07 percent.

 

(SGD) LENI R. RIOFLORIDO

Regional Director

 

MLB / MLLM

 

TECHNICAL NOTES

The Census of Population refers to the complete process of collecting, compiling, evaluating, analyzing, publishing, and disseminating data about the population in the country. It entails the listing and recording of the characteristics of each individual as of a specified time and within a specified territory.

The 2015 Census of Population (POPCEN 2015) was undertaken by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) in August 2015 as mandated by Republic Act No. 10625, otherwise known as the Philippine Statistics Act of 2013. It was the 14th census of population that was undertaken since the first census in 1903. Census day for the POPCEN 2015 was August 1, 2015 (12:01 a.m.).  POPCEN 2015 made use of the de jure concept of enumeration wherein households and persons are enumerated in the area where they usually reside as of the census reference date.

POPCEN 2015 is designed primarily to take an inventory of the entire population of the Philippines. It also collects information about basic characteristics of the population such as age, sex, marital status, religious affiliation, and highest grade/year completed. It is a source of the data on the size, distribution, and composition of the population for different geographic units, that is, at the national up to barangay level.

 

DEFINITION OF TERMS

Household is a social unit consisting of a person living alone or a group of persons who sleep in the same housing unit and have a common arrangement in the preparation and consumption of food

Household population comprises of persons who belong to a household. In determining household membership, the basic criterion is the usual place of residence or the place where the person usually resides.

Institutional living quarter (ILQ) is a structurally separate and independent place of abode intended for habitation by large groups of individuals. Such a quarter usually has certain common facilities such as kitchen and dining rooms, toilet and bath, and lounging areas which are shared by the occupants. ILQs include dormitories/lodging houses, jails/prisons, military camps, convents/seminaries, and mental hospitals.

Institutional population comprises persons who are found living in ILQ. They may have their own families or households elsewhere but at the time of the census, they are committed or confined in institutions, or they live in institutional living quarters and are usually subject to a common authority or management, or are bound by either a common public objective or a common personal interest.

Total population includes the count of persons in the households and institutional living quarters.

Sex ratio refers to the ratio of males to females in a given population, expressed as the number of males per 100 females.

Age is the interval of time between a person’s date of birth and the census reference date (1 August 2015). Expressed in completed years (as of last birthday), it is recorded in whole number.

Marital Status refers to the personal status of each individual with reference to the marriage laws or customs of the country. It is the same as civil status, the term usually used in official and private records, documents, transactions, and others, in the country.

  1. Single refers to a person who has never been married
  1. Married refers to a person married in a religious, civil ceremony or tribal rite, either living with his/her spouse at the time of visit or temporarily living apart because his/her spouse is employed elsewhere (as in the case of a person whose spouse is an overseas worker or one who works with the Armed Forces and residing somewhere else.
  1. Widow refers to a married person whose spouse died and who has not married up to the time of visit.
  1. Divorce/separated refers to a person who is permanently separated from his/her spouse, legally or through mutual consent. This is also applicable to a person whose marriage with another person has been annulled or dissolved and can, therefore remarry.
  2. Common-law/live-in refers to a person whose marital status is unknown to the respondent, or whose marital status is being concealed by the respondent/person himself/herself.

Religious Affiliation refers to a particular system of beliefs, attitudes, emotions, and behaviors constituting man’s relationship with the powers and principalities of the universe.

Simple Literacy Rate is the proportion of persons aged 10 years old and over who are able to read and write a simple message in any language or dialect.

Highest Grade/Year Completed referred to the highest grade or year completed in a school, college or university as of August 1, 2015.

Occupation/usual activity refers to the kind of job or business, which a person was engaged in most of the time during the last 12 months preceding the census. It is the person’s principal means of earning a living during the past 12 months.

Overseas worker was a household member who was at the time out of the country due to overseas employment.

 

 

File: 

Tags: